The archaeological site of Leivithra



The acropolis of Leivithra delimited by torrents converging into the unified, broad riverbed of Ziliana and in the background the Castle of Platamonas


The acropolis of Leiνithra at the conνergence of Upper (Ano) and Lower (Kato) 0lympus


The monastery of Kanalon, that is of Leivithra, since “Kanalia” (Canals) is the Latin translation of the word “Leivithra”


Leivithra region is literary known because of its reported relationship with the Muses and Orpheus as well as historically for Romans’ passing through it on their way from Thessaly to Macedonia. The name Leivithra means the water canals, as the Latin toponym Kanalia. Successive mountainous creases (Κanalia) emerge at the convergence of Upper (Αpo) and Lower (Kato) Olympus, directing the flow of water to the surrounding area of Leivithra.

L. Heuzey had accurately assumed the city’s location in the 19th century. The definitive identification of Leivithra at the southern edge of the east side of Upper Olympus, north of Skotina and 6 km NW of ancient Heraklion, was made by A. Plassart in 1914. As stated by the Ephor of Antiquities N. Kotzias, “The acropolis’ location confirms topographical elements described by Pausanias and others, so there is no doubt that these ruins are related to Leivithra, the habidat of Orpheus and Leivithrides (Muses), which was swept by Sys”.



Lead weight from Leiνithra region, with the inscription ΛΕΙ-ΒΗ and a bunch of grapes as a symbol


Written by: Effie Poulaki Pantermali